Lubbock Power & Light Completes Saturday ERCOT Migration
Lubbock Power & Light (LP&L) is in the process of connecting approximately 70% of its system and customers to the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT). LP&L has been working to make infrastructure updates to connect with the ERCOT system since 2018. Work began at 8 a.m. Saturday, May 29 and will last through midday Sunday, May 30.
Saturday work concluded at 6:10 p.m. with LP&L connecting 11 substations to the ERCOT system. Crews have proceeded smoothly throughout the day with all but one substation staying within the 30 minute time window. LP&L will begin work to connect the remaining five substations Sunday morning at 6 a.m. with a target completion of midday Sunday.
· Check to see if and when your meter is affected at LPandL.com.
- Check outages in progress at https://lpandl.com/powering-lubbock/power-outages
- Track completed phases at mylubbock.us/ERCOT
· Monitor progress and project updates by following LP&L and the City of Lubbock on social media.
What to Expect
· Affected customers can expect a planned outage lasting an average of 30 minutes.
- In the event a customer’s outage is located in an area marked complete on the Progress Map, they can call customer service for assistance.
- The City of Lubbock Utilities call center will be available Sunday (6 a.m. – 12 p.m.) at 806-775-2509
· The City’s Emergency Operations Center will be up and running to ensure all City departments are coordinated.
· Traffic lights and railroad crossings may be affected. Lubbock Police Department will be assisting with traffic control through intersections.
· If you are affected by a planned outage, please do not call 9-1-1 to report it. With advanced meters, LP&L is aware of power outages. While not necessary, if a customer wishes to report an outage, they may send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org their name, address and nature of outage. They may also call 806-775-2509.
Any time there is a planned outage, LP&L has the following tips for customers:
· Unplug sensitive electronic equipment, such as computers and televisions.
- Keep food as cold as possible by keeping your refrigerator and freezer closed.
- Notify any security companies you use to monitor your business.
· Utilize a backup power supply as necessary.
The goal is to move substation-by-substation as safely and efficiently as possible in order to finish all work by midday Sunday.
To learn more about LP&L connecting to ERCOT, visit LPandL.com/ERCOT.